Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Fools Way Out...

I recently picked up a weekly circular that focuses on the service industry, not restaurants per se but more about employees of restaurants and bars. I was extremely disapointed to find an article entitled "Blame It On The Kitchen". The article didn't talk about this problem in a negative way, it promoted it! It even called it "The number one best servers defense", and went as far to say "I will blame the kitchen when something goes wrong that they can be blamed for-hell, even if it's something they CAN'T be blamed for".
Are You Kidding Me?
This kind of attitude is what is wrong with a lot of servers. I don't mean to say that there are not times when it is the kitchens fault i.e. they were busy and forgot something, they didn't realize that you subbed a side dish, things were not timed correctly and one dish was either too early and cold or too late to be served with the other meals. In my observations and work experience though, I have seen many more issues with server error i.e. forgetting to ring the substitution, not ringing in an order, taking the wrong food out of a window, or not having someone watch for your food while you ran to the restroom or out back for a smoke.
I think people in a restaurant appreciate honesty; an honest drink, an honest meal for their buck, and most of all an honest server. I have always been the type that will tell a guest my opinion of a dish if I am asked, I will steer them towards the fresher selections of the day, I will tell them if I have screwed something up and go above and beyond to rectify the situation. As a guest, I do not want to hear "the kitchen screwed up" or "it's the bartenders fault". You are the person I am speaking with, you are the person giving me advice, you are the person I pay at the end of the meal, as far as I am concerned you might as well own this establishment! There is the issue, ownership. Servers need to carry themselves as the face of the place! Don't just act like you know, act like you own! Look your guest in the eyc and say "I' m sorry WE have made a mistake, what can I do to make it up to you?". Your gust will appreciate the honesty, and feel as if they are dealing with someone who both can and will do whatever is needed to insure that they leave happy.
I will tell you what you can't "Blame On The Kitchen"...order-takers like the author of this article giving quality servers a bad name.

Cheers!

"It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've never had the opportunity to thank her..."
-Will Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment